Finance Director – Syria Response & Turkey programme
Jordan, Amman or Ankara, Turkey
General Description of the Program
GOAL is an international emergency and development NGO dedicated to alleviating the suffering of the poorest and most vulnerable. GOAL was established in 1977 and is currently operational in 13 countries world-wide. GOAL an International Humanitarian Organisation has had a presence in Turkey since 2013 and has been contributing to the migrant response since 2016 with a focus on responding to needs in health service delivery, social safety nets and the protection of vulnerable and marginalised migrants in southern Turkey.
GOAL’s work in Northern Syria is primarily in Idleb Governorate and Northern Aleppo Governorate. The program focuses on Food Security, WASH, Livelihoods and Emergency response. GOAL implements directly, with over 500 staff based in Syria, as well as through Syrian NGO partners.
The Finance Director is responsible for overseeing all GOAL finance activities in Turkey, Syria and Jordan, including strategic planning, reporting and partner support. He/she will manage three Assistant Financial Controllers (AFC’s) – AFC Donors, AFC Operations and AFC Partners as well as improving work processes to ensure compliance with donor and other statutory regulatory requirements and performing a role as a key member of the senior management team for each of the fields.
The Finance Director working closely with the CD and other members of the SMT, is responsible for promoting and ensuring an organizational culture where GOAL’s core values – Humanitarianism, Courage, Integrity, Respect and Partnership- are practiced, team work is encouraged and all staff feel valued.
- Turkey and Jordan Statutory Reporting and Audits
- Responsible for successful coordination and completion of Turkish and Jordan statutory audits (Local and National)
- Ensure GOALs’ financial practices are in compliance with Turkey and Jordan statutory regulations and legislation.
- Ensure compliance with GOALs standard accounting procedures and policies across the programme and actively monitor internal controls to minimize risk to the organization.
- Lead and guide all cash management processes to assure they are in place and operating effectively.
- Ensure production of cash flow forecasts to ensure adequate resource is available to support operations in country and in HQ
- Ensure appropriate contracting and review of auditing services for Jordan and Turkey.
- Lead finance team in developing and maintaining relationships with service providers and contractors, including banking institutions and accountants\
- Ensure quality and timely financial reporting to donors and other regulatory bodies.
- Support AFC Operations where requested in preparation of the month-end financial accounts
- Support AFC Donors where requested in preparation of the donor budgeting & reporting
- Support AFC Operations Syria where requested on the management of the finance functions inside Syria
Responsible for providing effective supervision, leadership, coaching and guidance to the finance staff located in any GOAL Syria response office. (Syria, Turkey and Jordan).
- Ensure that the Finance team in country can produce month end accounts package, fully and accurately use the financial software system and comply with all donor reporting and budgeting requirements in line with deadlines
- Ensure the proper Implementation of GOAL’s performance management system for direct reports, including individual planning, ,regular feedback, coaching and mentoring, mid-term reviews and annual performance appraisals.
- Oversee the recruitment and orientation of new direct reports and support AFCs in the recruitment and induction of staff.
- Maintain a focus on the training and development needs of the team
GOAL Strategic Planning, Analysis and Reporting:
- Actively participate and contribute to the country senior management team (SMT), strategic planning processes, and relevant GOAL -wide strategic initiatives.
- Continually develop and update methods and practices to minimise financial risk
- Present monthly financial analysis summary to SMT
- Provide quarterly analysis of the financial health of GOAL Syria and each of its programmes
- Assist country management team on finance element of projects or issue resolution.
Lead the development and completion of the annual budget process with the AFC Donors, Programme Director and Systems Director, oversee the completion of the Annual budget process
- Responsible for developing finance training materials (online, classroom, blended) and in-house courses for Finance staff (GOAL and Partners) and non-finance staff (GOAL and Partners) – with support from GOAL Roving Finance controllers, and the AFCs.
- With the AFCs ensure comprehensive Finance annual training schedule is delivered and results monitored to staff (GOAL and Partners)
Promote functional integration between Finance and other departments (Programme and Systems) that promote efficiency and effectiveness.
- Promote efficient provision of financial services to Program and System staff by working closely with Systems Director and Programme Director, and promoting collaboration amongst the departments.
- Assure that finance team understands and is adhering to programmatic, HR, Procurement, Logs and IT policies and procedures. Provide suggestions for improvement.
- Actively participate as a member of the country Senior Management Team (SMT)
- Provide cover for AFCs when they are on leave or positions are vacant
- Any other duties as requested from Regional Director, Country Director Turkey and/or Country Director Syria
Requirements (Person Specification):
- Qualified accountant with 5+ years’ experience
- Experience in working in a team including at least 3 years at senior management level.
- Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Highly organized team player, pro-active and with demonstrated strong personal initiative and decision-making ability.
- Proven track record of capacity building of staff.
- Experience in INGO and/or multinational organisations is essential and experience of working in the region is desirable
- Experience of accounting for a budget in excess of €25m
- Fluency (spoken and written) in English.
- Proficiency in accounting software as well as Microsoft Excel
- Skilled communicator and ability to work effectively across multiple cultures, including remotely.
- Proven ability to work to deadlines.
- Experience in dealing with institutional donors such as DFID, USAID, EC, UN, private foundations. Familiarity with donor rules and regulations (Particularly EU, Irish Aid, USAID).
- Fluency in Turkish or Arabic is an advantage.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.