Finance Manager – Syria
Finance Manager – Syria
Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
In the Middle East, NRC has over 3000 staff dedicated to assisting people affected by conflict in Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq and Palestine. Its humanitarian interventions are based upon its programming expertise in the Core Competencies of Shelter, Education, Water and Sanitation Hygiene, Food Security, along with Information Counselling and legal Assistance (ICLA) to forcibly displaced people.
The Syrian Crisis is well into its eight year, but the level and intensity of conflict in the country remains high. Humanitarian and protection needs continue to grow inside of Syria as a result of the ongoing conflict and consequent complex emergency situation in which displacement is both massive and widespread.
The purpose of the Finance Manager is to be responsible that the Finance Structure in Syria Office is functioning according to NRC standard, as well as to support programme implementation from the financial perspective in Syria’s Areas of Implementation.
The Finance Manager is a key role in the NRC Syria Office, who contributes to provide financial analysis and allocate financial resources in the different areas of implementation in a highly challenging and volatile context. Specifically, they will have responsibility over the following areas:
Accounting and Cashflow Management
- Ensure monthly accounting closing is done on time and following NRC financial procedures.
- Monitor Cash flows for all Area Offices where funds are channeled from SRO (Amman).
- Follow up on Income received from donors which payment is done locally.
Budgeting and Reporting
- Update Master Budget on regular bases to ensure funding needs are up-to-date as well as ensure coverage with the donor funding.
- Elaborate budget for new proposals, ensuring donor regulations have been taken into consideration.
- Elaborate finance reports to submit to donors, or do quality control and compilation if elaborated at Area Office level.
- Consolidate Financial proposals and final reports for those projects covering multiple Area Offices.
- Support on the Annual Funding Allocation planning process and further annual revision.
- Elaborate monthly Budget versus Actual for all Syria projects and prepare forecast of expenditures in coordination with Programme Staff.
- Elaborate Finance Reports to be presented to CMG upon request.
- Ensure costs are allocated according to Fair Share principles and contribute to adapt the Head Office requirements to Country office finances.
Supporting Documentation, Financial Systems and Auditing
- Elaborate, review and update Finance Standard Operating Procedures for Syria Response anytime there are significant changes.
- Ensure Securing Supporting Documentation monthly procedures are being followed by the Finance Staff across all Area Offices.
- Update and follow up on financial standard requirements for Local Partners (develop checklists for control visits, standardized budget template, budget monitoring template, etc.)
- Do finance checks and validation of expenditures as per delegation of authority.
- Lead on engagement of Auditors and Area Offices.
- To support Finance Department in Area Offices if significant workload is expected (Finance reports, proposals, audits, etc.)
- Ensure Finance capacity in all Area Offices conducting capacity building and on-the-job training.
- Conduct training on Finance Procedures and Donor regulations to Finance, Programme and Support staff at Country offices and Area Offices
- This position is re-advertised; hence, you need not re-apply if you have done so the first time
- This position is being re-advertised on a rolling basis and is needed ASAP, hence, once a qualified candidate is selected, the remaining candidates may not be contacted
- Current location of the position is Amman, Jordan; however, duty station is subject to be revised during the duration of the contract and be moved potentially to Damascus
- The position is a non-family duty station
- The initial contract duration for this role is 12 months only
- The position will require an estimate of 60% travel from Jordan to Syria