PROGRAMME DEVELOPMENT MANAGER / DEPUTY NATIONAL DIRECTOR
Position title: National Programme Development Manager /Deputy National Director
Working location: Jordan
Direct Supervisor : National Director / Board / CVIREP
Functional Supervisor : Regional Programme Advisor / CVIREP
The employee supervise directly: National Pedagogical Coordinator / National Youth Coordinator / Family Strengthening Coordinators / National ERP Coordinator / Child safeguarding Coordinator.
The Employee provides functional supervision to the following co-workers: Village Directors.
The Employee Deputy for: National Director. It is intended that this role will act as Deputy National Director supporting the National Director in the day to day running of the organisation and working with the board in leading the strategic direction and plans of the National Association.
Special Authority and representation: during the absence of the national director the deputy act and responsible of the areas of the national director.
Mission of the position:
The National Programme Development Manager ensures the implementation of the SOS Children’s Village Programme Policy and drives (steers) the implementation of quality child development programmes (work with families of origin; SOS families, other alternative family based care options and various programme interventions like direct essential services, capacity building and advocacy in the field of care, education and health). The NPDM ensures (or leads) the implementation of a quality assurance system within SOS Children’s Village Programmes including monitoring and evaluation. She/he leads the development of the national programme development strategy, related budgets and action plans. The NPDM participates in and/or initiates activities of the civil society, with the aim to improve conditions and change policies and practices that undermine the well-being and rights of children of our target group. As the direct superior, the NPDM leads national Programme Development Department staff members. Content wise, the NPDM receives guidance from the Regional Programme Advisor. As a member of the regional NPDM network, she/he shares good practices and experiences with colleagues from other MAs.
The Deputy national director assist the national director to leads, manages and develops the national association and in the absence of the national director he is responsible of all areas of the national diretor . ensuring effective delivery of programmes and services to children and youths, families and communities within the frame of the organisation’s Vision, Mission & Values. Help and support the national director in seeking governmental subsidies and funding, international/ national grants as well as fundraising he/she maximises the financial self-sufficiency of the national association . to Ensure strong local rooting by promoting the association’s local integration and by building recognition at all levels. Strengthen the affiliation to the international SOS federation by participation in and contributing to international processes (e.g. knowledge sharing, strategy, policy, capacity building…).
- National Director
- National Programme Development Department staff / All youth and pedagogical staff
- Children’s Village Directors
- Regional Programme Advisor
- Board president and Board members.
- IOR advisors.
Key performance areas and main responsibilities:
to Leads the development of strategic directions in Programme Development at national level, framed by the SOS-KDI SOS Children’s Village Programme Policy and other related policies. This means to take action through one integrated programme of child development in a caring family environment (families of origin; SOS families, other alternative family-based care options) and through programme interventions (direct essential services; capacity building; advocacy in the fields of care, education and health)
- Leads the processes of national child rights situation analyses and of feasibility studies at location level.
- Ensures development of qualitative SOS Children’s Village programme proposals and steers the implementation to reach the strategic targets.
- Steers the development of new locations and alignment of existing locations following the SOS CV Programme Policy.
- Participates in the strategic and annual planning process as member of the National Management Team.
- Supports the budgeting process and reviews the SOS CV programme budgets on location level.
- Prepares and is responsible for the budget of the national Programme Development Department.
Quality management, monitoring and evaluation
- · Ensures implementation of quality standards within SOS Children’s Village Programmes as described in manuals, policies and concepts such as the SOS Children’s Villages Manual, Quality4Children standards, the Family Strengthening Manual, and other future SOS-KDI manuals, policies and concepts (in all fields of SOS Children’s Village Programme responses and activities).
- · Provides ongoing monitoring of child’s rights protection in the National Association.
- · Ensures implementation of all existing and future SOS-KDI policies in the area of programme development (e.g. the Child Protection Policy, the HIV/AIDS policy, the Formal Education Policy, Inclusion Policy).
- · Ensures implementation of a Quality Assurance system (including monitoring and evaluation)
- · Adjusts all ongoing programmes to national legal regulations in agreement with the National Director.
- · Ensures development of national concepts according to SOS-KDI policies and SOS-KDI programme quality standards.
- · Is responsible for direct performance management of the staff of the Programme Development Department.
- · Decides on which candidate is finally recruited in a recruiting process and leads the orientation process of members of the national Programme Development Department.
- · Ensures that professional and developmental goals are set up. Works out individual development plans and career development plans in cooperation with subordinates.
- · Supports and provides coaching in the realisation of the set goals.
- · Monitors goals achievement.
- · Conducts Performance Appraisal Talks.
- · Ensures support in recruitment and selection process of leading programme development co-workers in SOS Children s Village Programmes through national PD advisors.
- · Ensures that national PD advisors content wise lead programme unit managers on location level.
- · Ensures organisation of initial and ongoing trainings for key SOS Children’s Villages Programme staff and Programme Development Department staff.
Research and knowledge management
- · Coordinates all research activities in the programme development area in the National Association.
- · Cooperates with governmental and non-governmental organisations carrying out research on child and family care.
- · Takes responsibility for the National Association’s participation in international research projects within SOS-KDI.
Partnership building and advocacy
- · Monitors national activities (of the state and of key NGOs) and planned future developments in the social welfare sector, protection of child’s rights as well as gaps in child rights fulfilment by the state.
- · Participates in and/or initiates national initiatives aiming at improving conditions and changing policies and practices that undermine the well-being and rights of children of our target group.
- · Develops and maintains contacts, exchanges information and develops partnerships with key stakeholders of the child welfare sector (state, NGOs, INGOs and GOs).
Main area of responsibility as deputy of National Director :
- Strategic planning/ positioning processes.
- Support all departments in Budgeting and planning their priorities.
- Operational effectiveness of all programmers and guarantee a child-care quality.
- Fully represent the association in the absence of the ND.
- Play main role in the child safeguarding.
- Sustainable management of the national association is financial and Human Resources.
- Promote and manage an appropriate image of the organisation both internally and externally, using our values, standards and guidelines as the basis for shaping the brand.
- Reporting in both language in Arabic and English
- In charge of Substitution Meetings.
- Internal audit. Standarize the process in each department.
- Lead and supervise the national management team (programme/ facility heads as well as departmental heads).
- Evaluate and follow-up the development of each head of department in SOS Jordan.
- Represent the organisation towards government authorities and other external bodies and organisations.
- University degree in social sciences and/or business management or any related field.
- Minimum 5 – 7 years’ experience in child and family development programmes
- Minimum 2 years ‘management experience.
- Motivation for work focused on children and families
- Leadership experience
- Full proficiency in written and spoken English and Arabic
Competencies – knowledge, skills, abilities
- · Experience in programme management and planning
- · Good knowledge of standards and current directions of development in the field of child rights and social welfare systems
- · ability oversee functions such and Fund-raising & Communications, Finance and Human Resources.
- · Good knowledge of legal issues related to social welfare
- · Organisational skills – skills of planning and organising resources necessary for achievement of goals
- · Leadership skills
- · High level of communication skills and report writing skills
- · Ability to work in stressful conditions
- · Ability to prepare budget and financial management skills
- · Computer literacy (MS Office)
- · Driving licence
Preferred additional criteria
- Additional education in the field complementary to the basic education (pedagogy/management)
- Experience and readiness to work in a team, ability to lead teamwork
- Experience in project management, monitoring and evaluation
- Readiness to improve his/her qualifications
If you are interested in this position, please email your application (cover letter, CV) to [email protected], Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
the position title must be mentioned in the subject line
Closing date: 30/04/2019
Please note: Due to the urgency to fill the post, recruitment will be done on the rolling basis and SOS Jordan reserves the right to recruit before the deadline