Regional Director for Middle East – HQ/Jordan
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Regional Director for the Middle East
Duty station: Rome or Amman, with frequent field missions
Starting date: 01/01/2020
Contract duration: 2 year (renewable)
Reporting to: Director of Programmes
Supervision of: Deputy Regional Director and Heads of Mission
General context of the project
INTERSOS is an International Humanitarian Organisation with its HQ in Rome, branch offices in Nairobi and Amman and representation offices in Geneva and Dakar. The organisational structure is comprised of the General Secretariat, the Departments of Programmes, Finance, Logistics & Supply, Communications & Fundraising and Human Resources, the Grants Control & Compliance Unit and the office of Internal Auditor. INTERSOS is operational in 17 countries with over 3,000 among national and international staff worldwide.
INTERSOS assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts, exclusion and extreme vulnerability. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
The Department of Programmes is led by the Director of Programmes and includes five Regional Directors, the Protection Unit, the Medical Unit, and the Emergency Unit.
General purpose of the position
The Regional Director represents INTERSOS in the geographic area of her/his competence and, in collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director, has the responsibility of strategic planning, implementation of the strategies and achievement of missions’ objectives. The Regional Director represents the Organisation in relation to third parties in the region of assignment, on the basis of the directives conferred by the Director of Programmes.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Under the supervision of the Director of Programmes and referring to the region of assignment, the Regional Director:
- Designs strategies, defines territorial areas and sectors to be privileged, programmes and plans activities together with Deputy Regional Director;
- In collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director guarantees the implementation of the regional strategies;
- In collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director supervises the implementation of INTERSOS programmes in the missions under his/her responsibility;
- Is responsible of the overall security in the geographic area of his/her competence and of the implementation of security protocols and policies;
- Is responsible of relations with donors, stakeholders, authorities and representatives of beneficiaries and collaborates with Heads of Mission and project leaders in the management of these relations;
- In collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director supervises the implementation of the programmes in the missions under his responsibility; projects (constraints and rules of the donors, consistency and technical-methodological congruity, quality of resources, effectiveness of results efficiency);
- In coordination with Regional Finance Coordinator, follows up on the approval process at HQ level of project proposals before submission to the donors;
- Links with Director of Programmes and Secretary General for the approval of projects that involve a high risk in accordance with the provisions of the risk analysis;
- In collaboration with the Heads of Mission, guarantees the application of INTERSOS and donors administrative procedures for the efficient and transparent management of projects, offices and countries of his/her competence;
- In collaboration with the Human Resources Department, supervises the management of Human Resources and in particular:
- Collaborates to the recruitment of international Human Resources of the geographical area;
- Motivates, directs and supports managers and teams encouraging cohesion and motivation;
- Promotes orientation and training sessions for the operators of the region;
- Evaluates the performance of Heads of Mission and is responsible to discuss the evaluation (IRP) and the achievement of objectives;
- Supports the Heads of Mission in the evaluation process of the project leaders;
- Ensures the constant and timely sharing of information and regular communication inside the Programmes Department to facilitate the adjustment of actions referring to coordination, monitoring and control of the project activities.
Required profile and experience
- Advanced university degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, NGO management, or equivalent work experience
- Field working experience of at least seven (7) years in managing humanitarian programmes with increasing responsibilities
- Good knowledge of humanitarian architecture;
- Knowledge of the humanitarian project cycle management;
- Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of MS Office;
- Knowledge of the main humanitarian donors, with particular reference to DG ECHO and UN ways of working
- English mandatory, Arabic a strong plus
- Strategic vision, leadership, people management skill;
- Culturally sensitive and able to understand and work in complex contexts;
- Able to set up new strategies, projects and tools;
- Problem solving attitude;
- Good team player with strong initiative;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to adapt and work in difficult situations.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, passwork, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to [email protected], with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-00-1170 – Regional Director ME”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.