Data Analyst (Amman, Jordan) USAID
Data Analyst (Amman, Jordan)
Project S ummary
This project will support the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance (OFDA) and Food for Peace (FFP) programs. OFDA and FFP implement programs and have management offices or warehouses around the MENA region.
This project will focus on establishing and undertaking independent third-party monitoring to increase OFDA, FFP, and partners’ understanding of the outputs, progresses, challenges, successes and lessons learned of selected projects. It will support OFDA, FFP and their partners in effectively tracking assistance efforts, and to ensure aid is achieving its goals, the project will also solicit beneficiary feedback, improve the quality of partners’ data and monitor warehousing practices.
The Data Analyst will work closely with the Chief of Party (COP) and Deputy Chiefs of Party (DCOP) to provide regular support and guidance in the areas of data management, analysis and reporting. In this role, the Data Analyst will conduct independent analysis of quantitative and qualitative data collected by the project and will be expected to develop timely and concise analytical reports in English from this analysis. The Data Analyst will also have a strong role in quality assurance, including by reviewing analysis conducted by other members of the team and third-party contractors.
The ideal candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills and must be comfortable working in multidisciplinary teams and in an environment in which there may be team members with varying backgrounds and skill levels.
- Develop data analysis plans for discrete tasks over the course of the project, as well as train other staff members to execute said plans.
- Contribute to the development of quantitative and qualitative data collection instruments in consultation with other partners and stakeholders involved in development and humanitarian programming, including the research company responsible for data collection.
- Use familiarity with quantitative software (Excel, SPSS, STATA or R) to process large amounts of raw data and organize the preparation of data set codebooks for use by support researchers.
- Develop coding frameworks for the analysis of qualitative data and use these frameworks to analyze qualitative data collected by the project.
- Recognize, extract and interpret data trends from large and complex data sets and express those trends in visual graphics and clear, concise prose.
- Provide quality oversight and assurance of data collected by third parties to ensure the completeness, accuracy, robustness and timely production of all data reports
- Identify gaps in data collection approaches.
- Assist in the presentation of findings, conclusions and recommendations to program stakeholders as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a field such international affairs, economics, sociology, social science or statistics.
- Demonstrated experience conducting research on developing countries, including countries affected by conflict.
- Experience designing quantitative surveys and/or qualitative interview guides
- At least 2 years’ experience in developing data analysis plans.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze and disseminate large amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated proficiency and direct experience using Microsoft Excel.
- Fluency in Arabic and English
The candidate is also required to have (and must clearly note on their CV) at least two years of substantive experience working on issues in one or more of the following development and humanitarian sectors:
- Health and Nutrition
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
- Agriculture and Food Security
- Economic Recovery and Market Systems
- Protection and the Prevention of Gender-based Violence
- Emergency Shelter
- Experience calculating representative sample sizes for quantitative studies.
- Demonstrated proficiency and direct experience using SPSS, STATA or R software.
- Proficiency and experience in using ArcGIS software.
- Proficiency and experience with one or more mobile data collection platforms