TOR: Research Analyst
Project: USAID Syria Accountability and Research Team (Syria ART)
Duration of Position: 11 months; renewable on a yearly basis thereafter
Location: Amman, Jordan
Proximity International, LLC is a women-owned and women-led applied research firm specializing in monitoring, evaluation (M&E), research, and capacity building in fragile contexts. We work closely with the humanitarian and development community in order to fill critical knowledge gaps by providing independent assessments, research and data collection services to improve the targeting, accountability and impact of life-saving programs in conflict settings. Today, Proximity is a rapidly growing organization of talented and motivated researchers, analysts, and technical specialists with an expanding global portfolio.
At this time, Proximity is looking to hire a Research Analyst (RA) for the recently awarded USAID Syria Accountability and Research Team (ART) program. Syria ART is a 5-year contract that will provide the USAID/Middle East Bureau with third-party monitoring, research and analysis for its resilience and stabilization assistance in Syria. ART will independently monitor, verify, and analyze the results of the assistance and also provide independent research and analysis services to inform USAID’s strategy, project, and activity design and implementation.
The RA will work as part of ART’s Research Unit to support ongoing ad hoc, planned short and long form research tasks. These may range from spot reports on conflict developments, security analysis, atmospheric reporting, community profiles, value chain and market analyses, media analyses, and other thematic reporting. The RA will work under the Research & Analysis Component Lead, and will be required to efficiently coordinate with other ART teams in order to produce well-sourced, grounded and useful research reports to USAID.
- Support the Research & Analysis Component Lead to design a research framework for ART, including a research and knowledge management platform, data toolkit, technical guidelines for field-based data collection, analytical protocol; data reliability scoring systems; reporting templates; etc.
- Support and conduct regular and ad hoc research requests in line with an efficient research workflow and report turnaround
- Draft well-analyzed, well-written and informative research reports on assigned tasks, in line with ART data quality assurance guidelines
- Support in managing and updating ART’s knowledge management system to integrate data across primary, secondary and spatial data sources
- Liaise with external consultants and research networks to support specific research tasks
- Any other tasks deemed necessary to successfully carry out research and analysis under Syria ART
- At least 3 years experience conducting research and analysis in humanitarian, development or stabilization settings
- Previous experience with in-depth thematic research, remote conflict research, security analysis, atmospheric reporting, complexity aware monitoring, traditional and social media monitoring, market research, value chain analysis, and spot reporting in complex and highly fluid environments
- Deep familiarity with the Syria operating context, local conflict dynamics, stakeholders, geopolitical concerns, and global humanitarian and development response priorities
- Demonstrated technical capacity in qualitative and quantitative data analysis and reporting
- High level of detail orientation with an emphasis on precision and timeliness
- Highly organized, dependable and able to prioritize deadlines and proactively address problems as they arise
- Fluency in both Arabic and English is required; capacity to write in English at a native level is required
How to apply
Please send the following documents to [email protected]:
- Email subject: Research Analyst_YOUR NAME
- Cover Letter (max 250 words)
- CV (max 3 pages)
- Soonest available start date
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please do not apply if you do not meet the qualifications outlined above. Individuals wishing to send prospective CVs are welcome to do so via Proximity International’s website.**