Translators and Editors (Arabic – English)
Since 2014, USAID Takamol has been dedicated to advancing gender equality and women’s empowerment in Jordan. To fulfill anticipated translation and editing needs, USAID Takamol is soliciting applications to update its Prequalified Vendors list of translators and editors. Prequalified Vendors will be eligible to receive task orders with specific scopes of work based on their availability, rates, and technical experience.
USAID Takamol accepts applications considered as pre-qualified translators or editors on an ongoing basis through [email protected]. This procurement will be valid through April 2021, and the total value of translations needs is estimated at approximately 10,000 USD.
Scope of Work
USAID Takamol anticipates the following types of translation needs, from English to Arabic as well as Arabic to English.
· Internal programmatic documents
· Training materials, including Powerpoint presentations, training guides, handouts, and booklets
· Technical policy or research reports
· Public communications
USAID Takamol anticipates the following types of editing needs
· Simple proofreading of reports and communication products in Arabic to ensure writing is error-free with accurate spelling and grammar.
· Proofreading and verifying the accuracy of translations between English and Arabic versions.
· In-depth editing of reports and communication products in Arabic, not only ensuring the accuracy of spelling and grammar but also editing for clarity and readability. Examples of subject areas include but are not limited to gender issues, economic empowerment, political empowerment, legal frameworks, and inclusive education.
Some documents may require a need for using precise gender-sensitive language or legal terminology. Other documents should use simple, easy to understand language. No technical specialty is required, but applicants are encouraged to note any specialization in the type of fields or materials they have experience translating. Experience ensuring gender-sensitive language is used is strongly preferred.
Level of Effort and Timeframe
Each task order will define the number of words or pages to be translated. The level of effort for tasks may range, for example, from one to 40 pages. Each task order will define the target timeline for completion. The timeframe for task orders may range from 2 days to several weeks depending on the product, but short deadline translations are also sometimes required with 24 hour turnarounds.
Interested applicants may submit their application to be considered as a translator, editor, or both. Takamol will evaluate applications based on overall price, experience, and demonstrated translations. Individual consultants or translation firms may apply, however firms must submit the application materials for individual translators.
· For translators: At least two years experience providing translation between Arabic and English or English and Arabic.
· For editors: At least two years experience providing professional-level editing services in Arabic and English.
· Located in Jordan is preferred but not required
· Relevant past experience with development projects and gender equality is an advantage.
In addition to the qualifications above, the quality of submitted samples will be evaluated. Before the first assignment, each translator or editor will be asked to complete one page as a sample for review before a contract is extended.
To be considered, consultants must submit an email to [email protected] with the following:
· In the email subject, write “Translator Application”, “Editor Application”, or “Translator and editor Application”
· In an email message or attached letter of interest, the following information about rates, services, and applicable experience.
o Highlight your relevant background and skills related to the scope of work. In particular, please highlight experience ensuring the use of gender-sensitive language.
o Applicable rates. Applications that do not include rates will not be considered.
§ Translation rate(s) for 250 words/pages. If translation rate(s) are established for PowerPoint slides (text, formatting, and graphs), include these rates as well. In the email, applicants must specify if they are applying for Arabic to English translations only, English to Arabic translations only, or both.
§ Editing rate(s) for 250 words/page. Applicants should specify if they are Arabic editors, English editors, or both. Applicants who can compare Arabic and English versions should specify so in their email.
o Full name and contact information, including a physical address.
o CV, including organizations you have worked for.
o Samples of translation and/or editing work.
o If a translation firm, background material on the organization including relevant past clients.