Role & Responsibilities
You provide advice, support & coaching for the countries to manage of all program logistics; support the country logistics for the management of the end to end supply chain. This role is key to help programmes deliver goods to the most vulnerable people. You carry regular field visits to assess the quality and performance of logistics and provide action plan for improvements. This advisor role will support the field with daily queries and proposal management.
Part of the Global support office logistics department, based in the Middle East Region, you work with the direct supervision of the country director and functional supervision of the international logistics manager.
Since 2012 Medair has an increasing presence in the Middle East responding to the Syrian crisis in Syria and neighbouring countries and since 2018 to the Yemen crisis. Medair’s core sectors of support are Health & Nutrition, WASH and Shelter & Infrastructure but it has a growing Cash programme and a strong focus on Information Management. The Middle East Regional response structure enables close collaboration, exchange of resources and learning between the 5 country programmes.
Workplace & Conditions
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
· Advisor- Support the countries as Logistics advisor in their requests their daily queries
· Ensure procurement planning is in place for all countries. Oversee the implementation of and compliance with Medair logistics procedures, policies, and management tools; when necessary, propose improvements.
· Contribute to and validate the logistics component of proposals, budgets and project reports
· Follow developments and changes in donor procedures, requirements, and guidelines
· Develop, organize and give training to logistics staff in the field and in the yearly global logistics workshop
· Carry out field visits and assess adherence to logistics procedures, identify possible areas for improvement, develop and implement changed and new procedures where needed
· Contribute to improvements of Medair’s logistics processes and tools
· Cover for short term field positions when they are gaps
· Participate in new country logistics requirements (develop supply chain, open/close base, fraud prevention plan, market assessment)
· Support the countries during audit and review the large procurement documentation to make sure they are compliant with procedures
· Train & coach the LM in country and review the large procurement for the region
Business Process Expert
· Act as the BPE (Business Process Expert) for “stock process” within Medair;
· Ensuring policies and procedures are developed, improved and kept up-to-date, serve as a reference point for questions, information, and training.
Team Spiritual Life
· Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
· Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
· Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· Professional qualification in logistics or training in Supply Chain Management, humanitarian logistics or a related field. Certification in procurement would be desirable.
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written) and Arabic (Spoken & written).
Experience / Competencies
· Minimum 2-year relevant logistics and management experience in emergency and/or development context at a coordination level.
· Strong knowledge of Medair procedures and operations
· At ease with supply chain software and management, ability to provide easy support in the tool.
· Advanced planning, coordination, assessment, analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to create procurement plan, action plan for improvement.
· Experience of logistics in a cross-cultural, challenging environment as well as training competency.
· Excellent project management skills and strong leadership to lead cross-functional projects.
· Ability to oversee and contribute to the supply chain part of proposal and end of grant report.
· Prepared to undertake extensive field travel to country programmes for deployments; and willing to work in remote, basic conditions and insecure locations.
· Demonstrable knowledge of rules, regulations and donor policies governing the compliance/regulatory management of procurement rules from US, EU, UN and other agencies.
· Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritizing and delegating as required.
· Ability to communicate effectively with programme teams and be able to represent Medair with UN organizations, other international NGO’s and local authorities worldwide.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page then:
a) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
b) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.