Secretarial and Programme Assistant – G-5
Closing date: 22 Oct 2019
Corrigendum & Extension of Deadline
If you have applied, no need to re-send the applications as previous applications will be considered
Title: Secretarial and Programme Assistant (Only candidates resident in Jordan with authorization to work in the country are eligible to apply)
Domain: UNESCO Amman Office
Post Number: 5JOFSC0707RP
Organizational Unit: UNESCO Amman Office
Duty Station: Amman, Jordan
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Annual salary: 14,405 Jordanian Dinars
Deadline (midnight, Amman time): 22 October 2019
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Overview of the functions of the post
Under the overall authority and direct supervision of the Head of UNESCO Office in Amman (HoO), the Secretarial and Programme Assistant provides a wide range of secretarial and administrative support services in managing the office of the HoO (i.e. secretarial, logistical, administrative and others) under limited supervision. The work is performed independently with the supervisor reviewing end-products for conformance to instructions. The Secretarial and Programme Assistant provides guidance to other support staff on corporate formatting standards, workflows as well as protocol and other procedures. The incumbent is required to efficiently work on the different corporate systems to process and produce the necessary documents, like travel plans, etc. related to the Head of Office’s work.
The incumbent will carry out the following responsibilities:
- Manage the Head of Office’s front desk with respect to communications/correspondence, information sharing, meetings and work flow; identify means to ensures adequate control of internal and external communications for the office; identify complex or sensitive subjects, and contacts, for dedicated processing as well as priority issues that need to be brought to the Head of Office’s attention; distribute action items not requiring the Head’s personal attention; as appropriate, provide additional information and guidance to staff at all levels within the Office to ensure clarity in understanding of intent and deadlines; and continually evaluate and improve the operations of paper-based and electronic systems to ensure effective access to information and documents.
- Receive, analyze, register and distribute incoming correspondence and other documents; determine the importance and priority of documents received and whether it should be seen by the Head of Office or can be handled directly by program specialists within the office; establish deadlines for required action or reply; follow up with the Head of Office and other professionals on deadlines for answers or other required action; prepare correspondence and answer to requests for information on programs and activities attaching relevant documentation; review correspondence and other documents prepared in English or Arabic for the signature of the Head of Office, and make or recommend changes to format, style, spelling or grammar; verify invoices against contract terms and conditions and prepare contract modifications and requests for payments relevant to the Head of Office work.
- Manage the Head of Office’s agenda; schedule/reschedule appointments; makes travel/mission arrangements. Establish and maintain files and reference systems both electronically and on papers for documents and correspondence according to the rules and procedures for the processing and approval of documents by the Head of Office. Draft non-technical correspondence, Note Verbales and e-mails and ensure follow-up; drafts documents/reports/ correspondence/briefings for the Director’s desk; maintain policy and confidential files with high level of discretion and sensitivity and take discrete actions as appropriate; undertake searches for information; take minutes at senior and general staff meetings; prepare informal translations of documents and acts as an informal interpreter as requested in two languages (Arabic and English).
- Assist and provide support in programme/project implementation by monitoring progress, advising and alerting Office staff/ HFO on execution milestones; assist in drafting status reports by searching, retrieving, assembling, compiling information and data; prepare background materials for use in discussion, presentations, meetings and briefing sessions; record project inputs and maintain data; assist programme responsible in entering information into SISTER and updating status of RP and EB projects in SISTER.
- In collaboration with Office staff, assess administrative support needs for meetings/events/workshops, travel, invitation/document processing/publication production and dissemination and consultants/temporary assistance. Inform team members of process, procedures and timeframes to secure administrative services needed for programme execution. Initiate and process a variety of contractual and administrative documents/transactions using examples or templates. Organize the delivery of programme support in close coordination with team members, perform a variety of administrative duties and provide logistical and other administrative assistance to partners and stakeholders attending the events/ meetings/ workshops (e.g. travel, visa arrangements etc.).
- Maintain personal contact with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Protocol officers, in case of VIP delegations and visits; arrange for meetings with high-ranking officials (including members of the Royal family) as required; and for receiving high-ranking delegations, including VIP welcome at airport, security and transportation, hotel booking, flight reservations. Plan for official receptions of other official events and take care of logistical arrangements, including the preparation of venue, distribution of agenda and invitations, etc. Keep updated lists of names, addresses and telephone numbers of ministers, government officials, members of the Royal family and the diplomatic corps and United Nations (UN) in Jordan. Follow up with relevant staff on the preparation of HoO speeches and screens them before finalization; prepares invitation cards for official receptions/functions including UN events.
A successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following competencies:
Planning and organizing
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
For detailed information please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework
- Completion of secondary, technical and/or vocational training.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in the field of administrative, management and/or programme assistance.
Skills and competencies
- Good ICT skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.);
- Good organizational, planning, monitoring and reporting skills;
- Ability to work as part of a team, to take initiative and to provide quality and timely support and services;
- Discretion and capacity to deal efficiently and tactfully with people of different cultural backgrounds.
- · Excellent knowledge of Arabic and English (spoken and written).
- Specialized training/Certification in Business Administration or in related field.
- Experience in the administration with international organizations;
- Experience in project support and management.
An assessment exercise may be used in the evaluation of candidates
How to apply
Interested candidates should complete the attached UNESCO CV with covering letter in English explaining their interest in the position and forward it electronically to the following email address: [email protected]**. Please indicate the post title and number for which you are applying**.
Interested and suitable candidates should ensure that their application is complete and submitted on or before 22 October 2019 (midnight, Amman time). Applications that are incomplete or are received after the deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large number of applications received, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Benefits and entitlements
UNESCO’s salaries are paid in Local Currency and are exempt from tax. Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance and pension plan.
Please note that UNESCO is a no-smoking Organization.