Senior Driver G-3
Title: Senior Driver
Post Number: 5JOFSC0711RP
Organizational Unit: UNESCO Amman Office
Duty Station: Amman
Type of contract: Fixed-Term
Recruitment open for: Only candidates entitled to work in Jordan can apply for this post
Annual salary: 10,069 Jordanian Dinars
Deadline (midnight, Amman time): 2 October 2018
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Overview of the functions of the post
Under the overall authority of the Head of UNESCO Amman Office, and the direct supervision of the Chief of Finance and Administrative Platform / the Contracting Officer, the Senior Driver provides reliable and safe driving services ensuring high accuracy of work to the Head of the Office and high ranking UN officials and visitors, and coordinates routes and schedules work of other drivers.
The incumbent of the post will undertake the following responsibility:
1. Drives the Head of Office, UNESCO/UN officials and staff, including senior and high-ranking officials and visitors;
2. Ensures provision of reliable and safe driving services;
3. Ensures compliance with security and safety regulations during trips; Conveys staff members to official destinations;
4. Makes daily trips entries in the vehicles logbooks and keep records of mileage and fuel consumption and refers to the AO problems such as abuse/ misuse of equipment and vehicles.
5. Coordinates routes and, where applicable, schedules drivers and vehicles for use on a daily basis; including maintain a close liaison with the UNESCO and ensuring a detailed knowledge of the safest routes within the region. May instruct other drivers in matters pertaining to traffic and safety regulations, office regulations with respect to vehicles and equipment, and safety measures. May coordinate arrangements for major repairs;
6. Liaises with Transport workshop/contractor on the maintenance of vehicles, ensures that the vehicle(s) is/are presented for scheduled maintenance/repairs in accordance with the service schedule.
7. Ensures cost-savings through proper upkeep of vehicles and accurate day-to-day maintenance of vehicles. Carry out daily checks (oil, brakes, tires, water, battery etc.) on vehicles and performs minor mechanical repairs on vehicles when required, ensures cleanliness of assigned vehicle(s); and/or coordination of daily vehicle logs; prepares vehicle maintenance logs and report; Provide assistance on installations and use the HF, VHF radio and satellite phone in the vehicle.
8. Ensures availability of required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle registration, vehicle logs, office directory, and map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle; keeps track of insurance and other tax formalities;
9. Ensures that accidents are correctly reported.
10. Assists when required with basic visa and customs formalities. Where necessary, translates in local language for the Head of the Office and/or official personnel using the vehicle. Delivers and collects mail, documents and other items as required. When not driving, may perform other duties, such as photocopying, binding, assisting with filing, paying some office bills etc.
11. Additional Activities that may be required to ensure the success of the work team.
A successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following competencies:
Planning and organizing
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
For detailed information please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework
· Secondary Education plus a combination of relevant driving certification/ diploma or other academic qualifications and training.
· At least 2 years or work experience as a driver in international organizations, embassies or UN system with a safe driving record and proven knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, and local roads and conditions.
Skills and competencies
· Good knowledge of driving rules and local traffic regulations is essential.
· Ability to operate independently in austere environment for protracted periods.
· Ability to diagnose any technical error/ faults may occur in vehicles;
· Ability to provide daily maintenance for the vehicles;
· Ability to fix minor technical faults;
· Familiarity with relevant PSD communication equipment, computer applications (MS Word, Excel, Power point), Must possess valid national driver’s license;
· Proven ability to drive in high Valid and clean driver’s license;
· Good knowledge of the city, local roads and conditions where the Office is located.
· Arabic as mother tongue.
· Work experience in auto mechanics and knowledge in vehicle technology will be an asset.
· Knowledge of oral and written English will be a strong asset.
An assessment exercise may be used in the evaluation of candidates.
How to apply?
Interested candidates should complete the attached UNESCO CV with a covering letter in English explaining their interest in the post and forward it electronically to the following e-mail address: email@example.com
Please indicate the post number you are applying for. Incomplete UNESCO CV will not be processed.
Applications can also be received via fax only if internet access is not available to apply online. A completed official UNESCO CV form (available from the UNESCO home page) should be sent to fax number: +962-6-5928456.
Interested and suitable candidates should ensure that their application is submitted on or before 2 October 2018 (Midnight, Amman time).
Due to the large number of applications received, only applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Benefits and entitlements
UNESCO’s salaries are calculated in US dollars but paid in local currency and exempt from income tax. Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, pension plan and medical insurance. More details can be found on the ICSC Website
Please note that UNESCO is a no-smoking Organization.