Driver, grade 05
To Establish Roster for All Areas
|Vacancy Announcement Number||JF/104/2019
|Contract Status||Fixed-Term Appointment for 3 years including 1 year probation period, with the possibility of further extension, subject to the availability of funds, satisfactory performance and continuing need|
|Benefits||Grade 05, Monthly Salary JD 456.80 Fills. Other benefits include Provident Fund contribution (15% of basic salary paid by the Agency) and medical insurance. Dependency benefits are subject to eligibility.|
|Department||Procurement &/or Logistics|
|Duty Station||All Areas|
|Issue Date||08 December 2019|
|Deadline for Applications||21 December 2019|
UNRWA is committed to achieving gender parity at all levels of staffing under the current UN-wide gender agenda and strongly encourages applications from qualified women.
UNRWA welcomes applications from qualified candidates with disabilities.
Place in the Organisation
The incumbent is responsible to Vehicle Control Officer and assigned to the concerned Dispatcher in the field.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
In accordance with Agency policy and procedures, the incumbent:
|· Drives any assigned Agency Vehicle, as directed and within the limitations of local/international traffic laws and regulations and the type of vehicle registration and driving license held by him/her; ensures the safety of the vehicle, the passengers, freight and other road users; loads/unloads the assigned vehicle, as needed, and assists in moving and securing equipment/luggage as required;
|· Ensures that his/her driving license, passport, visas and other travel documents are always valid; reports to his/her supervisor any traffic violation that may have an impact on his/her permission to operate a vehicle including off-duty; ensures that vehicle documents are always valid as per the relevant technical instructions, including vehicle serial numbers, registration data and mileage and crossing borders permits;
|· Oversees the maintenance of his/her assigned vehicle including daily basic check of oil, battery, brakes, water, tires and reports problems to supervisor ; ensures the cleanliness and good general condition of the vehicle inside and outside;
|· Adheres to the rules, regulations and procedures especially in case of accidents and accident reporting; should have detailed knowledge of police, emergency, road side service numbers and callout procedures;
|· Ensures proper application of rules and procedures of the Agency’s diplomatic pouch operations including the appropriate custody and protection of confidentiality during transit across borders; ensures that passengers are in possession of valid travel documents (UNLP, visa) before commencing trips; assists passengers in boarding and disembarking;
|· Based on specific assignments, the incumbent is required to adhere to the following responsibilities:
A. When driving a senior official (VIP), applies protocol issues related to flags, attendance at Government Ministries, Royal/Presidential Palaces, VIP/Senior Diplomatic protocols in use at border crossings and at Airports; acts as a member of the Close Protection Officers team assigned to high profile individuals/VIPs to ensure their safety and security and attends to the right stowage of items ensuring that there are no loose items in the assigned vehicle; provides first aid, if needed;
B. When driving compactor/garbage collection vehicle, usually in congested and confined urban environments, maneuvers vehicles skillfully and safely to load/offload rubbish skips to the accumulated refuse at approved sites only; manages the compactor/garbage team crew and ensures their safety;
C. When driving a freight vehicle, supervises loading and offloading operations to ensure safe stacking of goods and equipment for transportation; is responsible for the correct sheeting, stowing and securing of the load to minimize damage and theft in transit for reasons of environment (dust, heat/cold, water); is responsible for managing labour/logistics assigned teams ensuring their safety; attends to specificities of freight and safety measurements, such as goods like fuel, compressed gas and /or medical supplies;
D. When driving a bus, takes the appropriate routes and plans, for long distances, the adequate stops at the appropriate facilities and manages the safety and welfare of passengers;
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor(s).
Academic and Professional qualifications
- Completion of Basic Education (third preparatory(;
- Valid driving license for all types of vehicles,
- Must possess basic knowledge of vehicle maintenance, inspection and fault reporting.
- At least five years’ experience of driving different types of vehicles.
- Ability to communicate in English and fluent in Arabic.
UN Core Values of Professionalism, Integrity and Respect for Diversity and Core Competencies of Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results apply by default. Default managerial competencies may apply.
- Persistent, polite and calm in stressful situations;
- Ability to establish a network of contacts at facilities used by the Agency, where tact and diplomacy are required;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Uses time efficiently and effectively;
- Keeps a client informed of progress against agreed timelines including any setbacks;
For guidance on how to prepare for competency-based interviews:
- Based on the type of vehicle assigned, staff member may be paid an allowance as stipulated in relevant instructions.
- Depending on the vehicle assigned, drivers will be constantly busy, driving often in congested urban environments but with infrequent requirements to move bags and boxes in and out of cars. For specialized drivers the amount of driving may be interspersed with periods of intense physical work loading/offloading/supervising/lashing/sheeting etc., outdoors and exposed to the elements. It will be expected that drivers will be physically fit and healthy enough to perform duties that will include physical labour.
- Staff member may be required to work outside normal working hours according to the needs of the Agency;
- All drivers will undergo an annual medical and optical check-up.
- Only candidates residing in Jordan with authorization to work in that duty station at the time of application are eligible to apply. The Agency will not assume responsibility or accountability to support or facilitate the issuance of work permit in the duty station, and without a valid work permit, the appointment may be rescinded since the agency will not provide coverage for relocation costs. Since this vacancy is an Area staff post, the Agency will not provide coverage for relocation costs.
- Successful completion of Secondary Education;
- Knowledge of processes and procedures at Ministries, Embassies, Consulates, commercial entities and similar locations when processing official Agency documents and correspondence;
- Specialized training in some or all of the following:
o Health and Safety;
o Transport of dangerous goods;
o Close Protection/Armoured Vehicle operation, evasion, ambush awareness, convoy driving techniques and general security awareness;
o Specific type training for specialist vehicles;
o First Aid Training;
o VHF/HF communications;
o Basic vehicle maintenance.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to register at http://jobs.unrwa.org by creating a personal profile and completing an UNRWA Personal History Form. Please note that UNRWA only accepts degrees from accredited educational institutions. Only applications received through http://jobs.unrwa.org will be considered. Due to the large number of applications received, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted. Please ensure that the e-mail address that you will indicate in your Personal History Profile is accurate, candidates shortlisted for test or interview will only be contacted by e-mail. No follow up phone calls will be made.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, testing, interviewing, etc). The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.
For guidance on how to prepare for competency-based interviews, please visit: https://careers.un.org/lbw/home.aspx?viewtype=AYI”
UNRWA encourages applications from qualified and experienced women.
UNRWA welcomes applications from qualified candidates with disabilities.
This vacancy notice is open to internal and external candidates.
UNRWA is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for human rights, for diversity, and for non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNRWA staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNRWA jobs. UNRWA is a non- smoking work environment.
The Agency reserves the right not to make an appointment, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description.
On appointment, all individuals will be asked to sign a self attestation, confirming that they have not committed, been convicted of, or prosecuted for, any criminal offence and that they have not been involved, by act or omission, in the commission of any violation of international human rights law or international humanitarian law.
Date of issue: 08 December 2019