Regional Head of Finance Unit – Region Middle East
Regional Head of Finance Unit – Region Middle East
Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The Middle East Regional Office based in Amman, Jordan was created in January 2014 as part of NRC’s reorganization process. We currently have more than 3,000 staff in the Middle East region assisting people displaced by conflict in Syria, Libya Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan and Palestine. Our work is concentrated on the shelter, education, food security, legal assistance and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors with strong protection and resilience focus integrated into our programs.
NRC operations is in the Middle East have grown significantly in recent years and further growth is expected in the months to come. With large operations in such fluid contexts, the NRC Middle East Regional Office has a stimulating and rewarding work environment, a collaborative workforce and genuine place of passion responding to a region in crisis.
The role of the Head of Regional Finance Unit (HRFU) is to deliver strategic analysis and direction to NRC’s regional finance management capability to provide maximum support to humanitarian assistance delivery. The main focus of the position is to further develop financial systems and tools that safeguard and bolster organisational accountability; ensure consistency in resource allocation and utilization, in compliance with NRC and donor regulations and procedures; and enhance the capacity of NRC finance and programme staff to integrate financial issues into project planning and delivery.
The HRFU reports to the Regional Support Director who reports to the Regional Director
The Head of the Regional Finance Unit role rests on five columns of responsibility:
- Strategic development and planning of NRC MERO financial structure in relation to CO needs and HO requirements
- Financial Compliance Monitoring and Control
- Technical Development and Support to NRC Country Offices
- Capacity building and training of NRC staff in the ME region
- Coordination of related support resources to NRC Country Offices
Specific Responsibilities related to this position include:
- Ensure that adequate financial management routines and systems are in place, and that NRC’s budgeting, accounting practices and standards are adhered to, are timely and in accordance with requirements from NRC, donors, auditors and authorities.
- Increase the financial visibility in the region and in the MERO through KPI reports shared on a monthly basis with the SMG in the MERO.
- Map country offices’ finance structure (strengths and weaknesses) and develop change plans that ensures CO finance units through-out the Middle East are adequately structured and trained to comply with financial rules and regulations
- Provide guidance to Regional leadership on strategic development of NRC’s financial structure in the ME region and in the MERO to ensure effective support to NRC country offices
- Tailor systems to ensure compatibility between NRC’s financial tools and systems and donors requirements
- Review the findings of finance controller visits along with key audit documentation to inform and tailor support change plans for country offices in coordination with Regional Compliance
- Create assessment tools and coordination/communication protocols to enhance the interaction of Finance with other NRC departments, including Programme, Logistics, HR and Admin.
- Maintain a regional financial forecasting tool and systems
- Responsible for tracking potential liabilities within the region, and if necessary requesting the creation of financial provisions using the provision tracker
- Responsible for preparing the Regional Management Letter for the annual audit
- Provide analyses and suggestions for improvements in communication, coordination and structures with Country Offices in the ME region and Head Office in Oslo.
- Be the regional focal point for NRC Global Finance at Head Office in Oslo.
- Management of Regional Finance Unit staff
We offer up to a 24 month contract.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions Duty station: Amman, Jordan
Deadline for application:01/04/2019
PS: We welcome applications from qualified and interested candidates. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline