Aktis is working as a partner for the Syria Independent Monitoring (SIM), a consortium of four companies contracted by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) to carry out third-party monitoring of DFID humanitarian assistance projects across Syria. The consortium has been operating in non-Government-controlled areas of Syria since 2016 and in Government-controlled areas since the end of 2017.
Working under the direction of a Senior Monitoring Expert (SME) and/or the Deputy Team Leader (DTL), the Monitoring Expert will be tasked to deliver regular Field Monitoring Reports (FMRs) on a sub-set of SIM’s monitoring portfolio. SIM FMRs are based on 3-day units of data collection in the field including key informant and beneficiary interviews, as well as documentary, asset, or other technical verification. In some cases, they also include audit-type financial verification. FMRs require in-depth analysis of the field data collected on the basis of a fixed set of criteria adapted from standard evaluation criteria.
Considering the qualitative nature of SIM’s monitoring, each FMV requires extensive preparation in interaction with DFID’s Implementing Partners (IPs) and their Downstream Partners (DIPs), as well as intense communication between the core team and the relevant field team.
Candidates must have fluent listening, reading and analysis skills in Arabic, and fluent written and oral communication in English. In addition, the candidates must be able to demonstrate:
- Sensitivity in their inter-action with representatives of humanitarian organisations at a senior level;
- An outstanding record in field data analysis and synthesis;
- A high degree of attention to both substantive and formal details in drafting;
- Performance in drafting engaging and highly structured documents;
- Capacity to work as part of a multi-level team, partly on site and partly remotely.
- Desirable background and experience include:
- An MA degree, ideally in the social sciences;
- Work experience in relation to humanitarian aid, politics, security, or economics in developing or conflict environments;
- Exceptional organisational skills and ability to work under pressure and respond to time-sensitive requests;
- Experience in interacting with donors and field work agencies.
For the full job description and application link click on ‘Apply’.