Position: Infrastructure Expert
This service contract is subject to the conditions of the signature of the main contract between Expertise France and the Delegation of the European Union in Beirut.
Country : Jordan
Deadline for submission: 15/05/2019
Name and project description: Reinforcing Jordan’s Capabilities at the Eastern Border
This project aims at enhancing Jordanian authorities’ ability to quickly react to any humanitarian crisis or security threat at the Eastern borders (Iraqi as well as Syrian) and to improve the sustainability of civil-military operations in the area, by building a multi-purpose hub in Ruwaishid, the first Jordanian city on the way to Amman after the Karamah border crossing point with Iraq.
Given the very limited capacities of the current Border Guard Forces facilities in Ruwaishid, this hub will constitute a multi-agency logistical and administrative center. It will serve as a much needed rear support base both to the Karamah-Trebil border crossing point and to the overall Eastern border control system and operations.
Under the supervision of the Field Project Coordinator, the Infrastructure Expert is in charge of the feasibility studies, the conception and planning phases and assists in the selection of contractors. He will also follow up and supervise the works execution and the acceptance of the works.
He will act as the Prime Contractor. His tasks will include – but are not limited to – the following:
• Leading technical assessments and adjusting feasibility studies and plans in coordination with the beneficiary
• Coordinating with the Partners for the design
• Making sure that the plans suggested are reliable on the technical side, at a reasonable price and respect environmental and legal frameworks
• Preparing the detailed working plan of all the activities and the matrix of the information, workflow and coordination between the different stakeholders
• Implementing a dashboard: planning, budget monitoring, progress of works, expenses, readjustment in case of failures, etc.
• Analyzing potential risks regarding the infrastructure component
• Preparing tender files : TORs, estimated budget, technical specifications
• (Pre)-identifying potential contractors
• Participation to the selection process of contractor(s)
• Preparing and overseeing project implementation to ensure timely delivery
• Managing Quality control
• Supervising the foreman, based in Jordan
• Any other duties assigned by Expertise France or the EU Delegation.
Degrees & Qualifications
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Structural or Architectural Engineering or related discipline
• Fluency in French
• Excellent verbal and written English
• At least 15 years of relevant experience (Engineering/Infrastructure)
• Extensive experience in camp and/or logistical platform building
• Highly adaptable and ability to handle insecure environments
• Strategic thinking
• Ability to empower and build trust
• Full proficiency in Microsoft Office, AutoCAD and other relevant engineering design software.
• Ability to work autonomously and to report
• Ability to write reports
• Diplomatic skills and ability to work in complex and multicultural environments
• Knowledge of conception cycle (sketch, study, construction, verification, optimization, rendering, draft creation, etc.)
Informations complémentaires :
· Mission area: home-based with regular trips to Paris (France), Amman and Ruwaishid (Jordan)
· Duration: about 70 man -days
· Starting date: 01/06/2019
If you do not receive a response one month after the application deadline, please consider that your application has not been shortlisted.
The process of selection of expressions of interest will occur in two phases:
• As a first step, a shortlist will be freely established by Expertise France.
• Selected candidates may then be invited for an interview.
Fees and conditions for the services will be negotiated with the designated candidate.
Interviews will happen on a rolling basis.
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position.
All applications must include the following:
· Cover Letter
Applications should be sent to Expertise France by email before 15th May 2019, using the following subject: INFRA EXPERT.
Applications are to be made in French or English.