مطلوب استشاري للعمل في منظمة دولية
Regional Policy and Advocacy Advisor – ECD
IRC reaches over a million children annually with education and child protection programs in 20 countries around the world. Sitting within IRC’s Crisis Response, Recovery & Development (CRRD) Unit, the Education Technical Unit defines the vision and strategic priorities for all of IRC’s education programs. The team provides evidence-based and contextually relevant technical support to programs, with the goal of ensuring they are technically sound and achieving meaningful outcomes.
Early Childhood Development (ECD) is a core organizational priority at the IRC with links to Health, Education, Child Protection, and Nutrition as detailed by the Nurturing care framework. As a part of the IRC’s ECD portfolio, the organization is working closely with Sesame Workshop to implement Ahlan Simsim, a multi-year intervention to bring vital early learning and nurturing care to children and families affected by conflict and crisis in the Middle East. This work is complemented by the Play to Learn initiative, an innovative new program with Sesame Workshop and the LEGO Foundation that harnesses the power of play to deliver critical early brain development opportunities to children and caregivers affected by conflict and displacement.
Through this coupled program of work, the partners seek to meaningfully enact policy change that will elevate the importance of ECD in the MENA region with a focus on government and multilateral actors, humanitarian structures and systems. To support these efforts, IRC’s ECD team and MENA regional office is looking for a Policy and Advocacy expert to enable ECD-focused policy and advocacy efforts across the region. The position will report to the ECD Policy and Advocacy Advisor and the MENA Policy, Advocacy and Communications Director with strong links to the Ahlan Simsim project team. This role will be responsible for supporting and driving the regional and national policy and advocacy teams to:
- Bring attention to the developmental needs of young children in conflict and crisis settings through advocacy, raising the profile of IRC and partners’ work in this area and
- Influence policy change which reflects the need for ECD to be prioritized and funded in humanitarian contexts.
The desired candidate will have strong experience working on policy advocacy in the MENA region, understand early childhood development in the Middle East, and have the ability to act as the regional advocacy champion for the Ahlan Simsim, Play to Learn, and other early childhood projects.
The Regional Policy and Advocacy Advisor will be responsible for the following key deliverables:
1. Support IRC ECD Policy and Advocacy strategy within Middle East: in collaboration with Global ECD Policy Advisor, ECDCoordinators, and Country ECD advocacy focal points this scope of work will be achieved through:
• Supporting country teams in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, and Syria to develop or refine existing target policy and advocacy goals tailored to context as well as help enable strategy execution
• Support country teams to develop and implement advocacy/policy frameworks with specific actions and plans to reach policy/advocacy goals as they relate to the institutionalization of ECD work that Ahlan Simsim does with government and local actors.
• Identify and lead on the execution of 2 – 3 cross regional advocacy goals in alignment with global and national goals. Goals will hone-in on developing donor champions, identifying new entry points for engaging with multilateral and humanitarian system actors, and uptake of country team goals
• Developing policy advocacy capacity at the country level through one-to-one coaching, training activities, and workshops.
2. External Representation and Relationship Management
• Raise awareness and influence decision makers to invest in and adopt effective early childhood development solutions, communicating IRC’s policy advocacy expertise and vision
• Create, enhance, and leverage a network of relevant contacts that foster regional policy and advocacy partnerships in collaboration with country and regional stakeholders
• Represent the IRC at relevant multinational and national policy-related meetings, committees, and fora with donors and key policymakers
• Represent IRC within regional coordination such as No Lost Generation in coordination with other IRC stakeholders
• Serve as focal point for any policy or advocacy specific partner relationships in region
3. Development of Policy and Advocacy Products:
• Keep abreast of ECD policy debates and research, sharing relevant evidence and policy developments with both partners and peers
• Write updates and recommendations to key internal and external stakeholders to inform and influence policy and practice
• Contribute to the production of policy papers, briefs, and summaries targeting internal and external audiences.
• Assist in the development and finalization of ECD and program-specific advocacy talking points and presentations for events and meetings, and support relevant staff with positioning and preparation prior to events and meetings as needed.
4. Project and Information Management
• Track regional and national advocacy engagement and help problem-solve when challenges arise
• Support Ahlan Simsim staff to monitor and evaluate advocacy objectives and activities.
• Keep tabs on relevant publications and readings and share them with Ahlan Simsim staff in region
• Ensure policy and advocacy files and knowledge is organized and accessible for Ahlan Simsim staff
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Policy Advisor, Early Childhood Development and Regional Policy, Advocacy and Communications Director (MENA)
Position directly supervises: N/A
Indirect Reporting: N/A
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Ahlan Simsim Regional Project Director (Amman), Scaling and Partnership Lead and Scaling and Partners Teams across the region, Ahlan Simsim Senior Project Specialist (NY based), Regional Advocates (Jordan and Lebanon), Government Liaison Officer (Iraq), ECD Program Officer (NY based), Global Field Teams – multiple departments, Regional PAC Team
External: Sesame Workshop ECD colleagues, regional partners (scaling partners, ministries, multilaterals such as the World Bank), and UN regional representation (WFP, WHO, UNICEF, etc.), other INGO allies
• Graduate degree in relevant field such as Public Policy, Law, International Relations, or Communications or strong evidence of a combination of a bachelor’s degree and working experience in a similar field
• At least five years of experience working in policy advocacy, with proven experience developing and implementing policy advocacy strategies resulting in change
• Passion for humanitarian programming and children’s issues especially in the area of child development, child health, and early childhood education
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to speak and write compellingly and competently in Arabic and English
• Demonstrated ability to successfully work in a fast-paced environment, within and across departments/functions and develop positive relationships with locally and remote based staff.
• Strong facilitation skills and ability to support meetings and workshops with diverse stakeholders.
• Self-directed, able to independently set priorities and solve problems with minimal guidance; comfortable working for a supervisor who is remotely located
• Excellent writing and editing skills: the ability to draft and edit memos, letters, reports and proposals.
• Good critical thinking; ability to synthesis a wide scope of information.
• Solid organizational skills, with a proven ability to prioritize projects with attention to detail.
• Flexible work attitude: the ability to work productively in a team environment, problem solve with minimal guidance and support any range of projects at a moment’s notice
• Beneficial if candidates have knowledge of relevant international policies e.g. 1951 Refugee Convention and Nurturing Care Framework as well as stakeholders in IRC MENA countries including Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Libya
• Standard office working environment
• Position is based out of IRC regional office in Amman, Jordan
• Travel: Approximately 30%
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
How to apply