مطلوب اخصائي للعمل في منظمة دولية تابعة للامم المتحدة
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
As part of its duty of care, UNOPS commits to ensuring that people do not fall sick or sustain injuries when the organisation carries out its operations. In line with its Health and safety improvement initiative, UNOPS has introduced a Zero tolerance approach to poor health and safety performance and is recruiting a health and safety specialist to support the implementation of the UNOPS health and safety system and requirements. The person hired will support the country teams under the regional office to develop technical competence, effectively monitor implementation and address the absence of adequate health and safety controls in workplaces. The duties of the health and safety specialist will include extensive travel from site to site from one country to another as necessary to review and correct poor practices in countries where UNOPS has significant infrastructure operations. This position reports to the Regional Infrastructure Advisor, with a secondary reporting line to the Regional Director.
Technical Advisory Support
- Supporting the head of office in establishing effective performance monitoring of HS for the projects and the office;
- Support heads of programmes, project managers and project teams in implementing health and safety requirements;
- Evaluate practices and procedures at UNOPS premises and construction sites in the region to assess risk and adherence to UNOPS HSSE requirements;
- Review HSSE plans to ensure project implementation is fully aligned to UNOPS HSSE guidelines
- Review risk assessments, inspections, incident investigations and other reports and offer advice to field teams to ensure that good practices are upheld;
- Assist field teams to correct deviations from health and safety requirements including managing breaches of requirements and poor performance by personnel and contractors;
Monitoring performance and addressing incidents
- Carry out inspections and system reviews to ensure that UNOPS operations are complying with HSSE requirements;
- Carry out incident investigations;
- Follow up on actions to address non-conformities or issues raised in incident investigations, inspections and audits to ensure that the issues have been effectively addressed and lessons learned shared;
- Carry out actions to improve the effectiveness of health and safety critical controls in the field offices;
- Use trend analysis of monitoring data from field offices for the purposes of addressing poor performance;
- Carry out initiatives to support the improvement of health and safety culture including ensuring that actions in the organisation’s safety improvement plan are carried out;
Training and Knowledge Management
- Develop and implement training programmes to improve the capacity of UNOPS personnel, contractors and partners in implementing UNOPS health and safety requirements;
- Facilitate practical training for contractors and project teams so that they ‘learn by doing’ and ensure continuous safe operations during project execution
- Be the focal point for health and safety knowledge building and knowledge sharing across the region with a focus on context-specific good practices;
- Support the development and implementation of other HSSE initiatives as assigned by the regional office.
- An Advanced University Degree (Master’s or equivalent) in a relevant field and 5 years of experience; OR;
- A first-level University Degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent), in a relevant field and 7 years of relevant experience OR
- A Tertiary Education/ Diploma (Technical/Professional Diploma or equivalent), in a relevant field and 9 years of relevant experience.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively experience in Health, Safety, Social and Environmental (HSSE) management is required;
- Experience in HS (Health and Safety) risk assessments, inspections, incident investigation, and/or training facilitation is required;
- Minimum of 2 years in managing and implementing projects’ related health and safety matters is an asset;
- Field experience in developing countries is an asset.
- Full working knowledge of English.
- Knowledge of either French or Spanish or Arabic is an asset.
How to apply
VA/2021/B5120/22607 – Regional HSSE Specialist (Occupational Health and Safety)
Level: IICA2 or LICA10
Duty station: Amman – Jordan (with travel to countries under the UNOPS Middle East and Europe and Central Asia Region)