Livelihoods Specialist (Market System Development)
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC in Jordan
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) established its presence in Jordan in November 2012 in response to the conflict in Syria and the resulting refugee influx. NRC Jordan currently employs over 500 staff in Jordan and is one of the largest INGOs in the country. Since 2012, NRC has worked to build the resilience of Syrian refugees in Jordan, and invest in the Jordanian communities that host them. NRC supports Syrian refugees in Zaatari and Azraq refugee camps, as well as vulnerable refugees and Jordanians in north and central Jordan (Irbid, Jerash, Ajloun, Mafraq and Amman governorates). In Jordan, NRC provides services in five of NRC’s global core competencies: Shelter, Education, Youth, Livelihoods and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance. NRC strives to combine its programmatic activities with evidenced-based advocacy work focused on policy change and strong external communications and media engagement. The Country Office also works to ensure safe and integrated programming through ensuring protection is effectively mainstreamed across all core competencies.
We are looking for a Livelihoods Specialist to lead NRC Jordan livelihoods programme. NRC currently supports the livelihoods of vulnerable Syrian refugees and Jordanians through a diverse range of interventions that address both short and long term needs. Current interventions include demand driven labour intermediation and preparation for the formal labour market; cash for work programming; improved agricultural input provision and production trainings (based on a contract farming model); and applying the market system development approach to positively integrate vulnerable households in the agricultural sector. This diverse program requires NRC to work with a range of stakeholders including private, public, and development actors.
Norwegian Refugee Council
Livelihoods Specialist (Market System Development)
Percentage of full-time:
Social sharing :
Duties and responsibilities
The Livelihoods Specialist is focused on supporting the NRC Jordan livelihoods programme and ensuring the elements of the program adhere to the standards and mandate of NRC Jordan. The key function of this position will be to set the strategic direction of NRC in Jordan; create and maintain quality control systems for relevant programming; and expand the livelihoods portfolio.
The following is a brief description of the role.
- Partnerships: Maintain and Develop innovative, strategic partnerships with international, regional and local public and private sector actors, including industry leaders, entrepreneurs, civil society and relevant authorities;
- Monitoring and Evaluation: Together with M&E staff, design and implement appropriate M&E system and tools for livelihoods programming in order to measure quality programming and evaluate impact, cost-effectiveness and relevance of specific activities;
- Community engagement: Develop and pilot tools and methodologies to support communication with beneficiaries and community engagement in the targeted areas;
- Market Systems Development Approach: In collaboration with development actors, the specialist should continue to utilize the MSD approach in NRC’s rural program and look into ways of integrating this approach in labour intermediation and training activities;
- Graduation Approach: Expand and ensure the integrity of current graduation approach activities by providing technical guidance and improving NRC Jordan’s capacity in applying the graduation model;
- Demand Driven Labour Intermediation: Expand and improve NRC’s labour intermediation support by building new private sector partnerships; building sector specific models; and integrating program activities into vocational training programmes;
- Data Centric Programming: In collaboration with Information Management staff, the Specialist is responsible for maintaining, improving, and creating IM systems that drives programming design and adaptation.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills that will help you succeed in this role
- Knowledge of the context in Jordan and/or neighbouring countries;
- Significant experience leading the development and/or support of Market System Development (MSD) programming (agricultural sector); Labour Intermediation programming**; and** large scale Graduation programming**;
- Strong analytical skills and proficiency with Excel, Power BI, and additional data collection and analysis software;
- Minimum 4 years of experience within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context;
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts;
- Livelihoods and Food Security Core competency expertise;
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities;
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile;
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
- Handling insecure environments;
- Strategic thinking;
- Empowering and building trust;
- Initiate action and change;
- Contract period: 12 months (renewable)
- Duty Station: Amman, willingness to travel 30% within Jordan.
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions. Family duty station (accompanied).
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Anticipated start date January 2020.
Please download the Job Description for this role in this link.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
This is a re-advertisement therefore previous candidates do not need to re-apply.