Government Liaison and Reporting Specialist
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation
DRC Jordan is looking for a qualified individual to fill the role of Government Liaison Specialist (GLS) who will support in strengthening and maintaining DRC’s relationships with key Ministries, and local government representatives specifically in Amman, but also in the governorates of Karak, Madaba, Ma’an, Irbid and Mafraq. The GLS will work directly with the Country Director, the Grants Management Unit and the Programme team to ensure all new projects are developed, submitted and approved in line with Jordanian laws and regulations.
About the job
The individual will report directly to Jordan Country Director Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
MoPIC, JORISS and Donor Reporting (50 %)
· Responsible for DRC Jordan’s application and reporting system on the government JORISS portal
· Develop offline templates and design processes for applications and reporting in order to improve efficiency
· Keep up to date with any planned changes to the system and adapt templates accordingly
· Liaise with project managers for data collection, reports and analysis as required by Jordanian authorities
· Regularly visit field locations to support Area and Base Managers with government reporting and building relationships with local government representatives
· Be the focal point for compiling and submitting project information for MoPIC applications and ensure all projects are submitted on time and with the required detailed information
· Jointly with the DRC Partnership Manager, liaise with sub-grant partners to ensure the process is clear and all documents are received and uploaded on the system
· Lead and complete the MOI and MOPIC reports liaising with HR, Finance, Programmes and Grants Managers
· Support the Grants Management Officer with donor reporting
· Preparing monthly progress reports to the relevant line ministries on DRC’s on-going projects
Organizational Learning (20 %)
· Map and document DRC’s current engagement with all government stakeholders and keep up to date contact list of local and national Government contacts
· Contribute to a government stakeholder mapping and keep updated stakeholder analyses related to Jordanian authorities
· Monitor national media for government statements and perspective on the Syrian refugee crisis in Jordan and share bi- weekly one page updates with the Country Director and Head of Program for wider circulation
· Keep abreast of government developments regarding humanitarian/resilience coordination and brief the Country Director and Head of Program on changes or relevant issues affecting DRC.
External Relations (30 %)
· Attend Monthly Government Liaison meetings and participate actively in these meetings
· Support DRC’s efforts to maintain transparent relationships with relevant counterparts within the Government of Jordan
· Meet with other Agencies representatives and take an active role in cross- organizational learning and networking
· If required, support senior management in representing DRC with Jordanian authorities, local municipalities, as well as coordination bodies and line ministries
· Write formal letters in Arabic to line ministries and local government
· Facilitate and follow up on all meetings with relevant local leaders and local representatives
· Ensure that Arabic/English translation of documents related to Jordanian authorities are factually and grammatically correct.
· Master degree in social sciences, humanities, development studies or other relevant fields.
Required / Desirable
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience, preferably with both government and INGO’s, in a government liaison role;
· Knowledge of Jordanian legislation and policies related to INGO work in the country;
· Knowledge of governance and administrative structures within the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, experience from working inside a governmental structure considered an asset;
· Demonstrated competencies in drafting official letters in Arabic;
· Excellent written and spoken English language skills;
· Experience in humanitarian work considered an asset;
· Excellent communication skills and diplomatic approach
· Ability to operate and work independently;
· Detail oriented and strong organizational skills;
· Full knowledge of JORISS system;
· Full understanding of JRP sectors mainly Livelihoods and Social Protection;
· Experience in drafting MOUs;
· Good understanding of legal consequences of MOUs.
· fluency Level-English and Arabic
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Designation of Duty Station**: Amman**
Start date: Jan 2020
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.**
Closing date for applications: 7 Dec 2019
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.