The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation
The Protection Field Specialist provides technical oversight of protection activities in the Karak and Maan bases, with specific responsibility for overseeing PSS and case management activities in addition to protection mainstreaming, awareness and information provision. The field specialist provides technical supervision to the protection field staff and acts as a liaison between the field staff and the protection technical unit in the coordination office. The Field Specialist will ensure that activities under his/her oversight are implemented in compliance with minimum standards and DRC ‘s SOPs. The Field Specialist works closely with the Protection technical unit in Amman to ensure compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the area of operation. The person will also coordinate closely with the Base Managers to ensure protection activities are implemented in line with the overall objectives of the project. The Protection Field Specialist should have a strong background in implementing protection programs in a humanitarian setting, and specifically case management and PSS.
About the job
The individual will report directly to Area Manager-South . Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
· Technically supervise case management and PSS field staff in Karak,Maan bases.
· Conduct regular spot checks for protection activities, ensuring quality and effective implementation of protection activities at the base.
· Provide regular technical supervision to case managers in the base, with technical guidance from the Protection Specialist (Case Management) in Amman.
· Regularly review case management and IPA cases and provide feedback on IPA cases before being referred to the Base Managers for approval, in liaison with the Protection Specialist (Case Management)
· Develop activity and workplans for protection activities.
· Support the Base Managers in preparing procurement plans for protection activities following the budget and work plan for the base.
· Work closely with the Livelihoods Team Lead/Officer to ensure effective integration of protection and livelihoods programming.
· Support the Protection Technical Unit in providing capacity building, as requested, and request support from the Protection Technical Unit on developing capacity buildings for the protection team.
· Ensure key protection elements, standards and mandates are being considered and implemented throughout the base.
· Coordinate with the MEAL department to ensure monitoring and evaluation tools are being effectively implemented and provide guidance to the field teams on carrying out M&E activities.
· Represent DRC at field level technical coordination meetings, as required.
· Work closely with key external stakeholders in the base, including maintaining and creating strong referral pathways.
· Provide technical input to performance evaluations for protection field staff.
· Other program tasks as requested by the Area Manager
Required / Desirable
· University degree in management, social science, humanitarian assistance, law or any other relevant field
· At least four years of experience in the protection sectors, including at least 1-2 years prior experience implementing and overseeing protection programs
· Proven experience and successful track record overseeing protection programs including case management and PSS.
· Proven experience of providing case management services.
· Proven experience managing field teams
· Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures
· Minimum 4 years practical experience with an INGO in an international humanitarian context
· Full professional proficiency in Arabic and English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Designation of Duty Station**: South (Karak-Ma’an)**
Start date: 20 August 2020
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.**
Closing date for applications: 6 August 2020
The recruitment of this position will be advert subject to funding
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.**
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
How to apply