Education Core Competency Specialist -(SRO)
Education Core Competency Specialist
Amman, Syria Response Office, Norwegian Refugee Council
Rights Respected, People Protected
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee.
We work in crises across more than 30 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights.
NORCAP is a global provider of expertise that contributes to solving challenges in the humanitarian, development and peacebuilding sectors. Our ultimate goal is to strengthen the resilience, and protect the lives, rights and livelihoods of vulnerable people and communities
NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country. **
NRC currently has more than 2,000 staff in the Middle East region assisting people displaced by conflict in Syria . As a leading humanitarian organization, we support displaced persons by implementing programmes across the Shelter, Education, Food Security, Information Counseling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sectors with strong protection and resilience focus integrated into our programmes.
The Syrian crisis is almost into its 9th year, but the level and intensity of the conflict in the country remains high. Humanitarian and protection needs inside Syria are overwhelming. Ongoing conflict and continued displacement compound a complex emergency situation. According to UN OCHA, 13.6 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance in Syria and millions have been forced to flee. More than 1.4 million displacements were recorded in 2019. More than 6.5 million are internally displaced and many have fled the war-torn country, including 5.5 million refugees across the region.
Duties and responsibilities
The Education Core Competency Specialist (CCS) is responsible to support the design, development and implementation of the Education programme in the areas of operation of the Syria Response Office. The purpose of the Education CCS position is technical development of the specific CC, strategic direction and quality assurance. The CC Specialist is responsible for mentoring, training and capacity building of staff in CC technical capacity, as well as assisting the CC through the development of tools that can be used to implement CC projects. The following is a brief description of the role.
- Develop education strategy, technical guidance and Macro log frames.
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures.
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposals, budgets and donor reports.
- Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities.
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within Education, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation.
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support.
- Ensure that key learnings are extracted from Education implementation, and incorporate them in Education and staff development processes.
- Provide systematic training and build capacity of technical staff.
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors.
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- Ensure that the NRC Education programme evolves to remain relevant to the changing context and conflict dynamics.
- Ensure that the Education programme addresses both programmatic and relevant policy issues and continue strengthening synergies with the Advocacy Unit.
- Identify synergies between Education and other NRC Core Competencies to ensure integrated programming continues to be promoted, where relevant and feasible.
- Provide technical support and foster two-way collaborative relationships with the Education Project Managers/Coordinators. This includes:
-Provision of trainings;
-In collaboration with the Area Office teams, development of M&E and training tools;
-Leadership of the Community of Practice that brings together Education Project Managers and Coordinators;
-Facilitation of the Education components of the Syria Response Programme Workshops.
- Closely collaborate with the regional Education Adviser and other NRC Country Office colleagues, especially those contributing to the refugee response, possible returns and durable solutions in the region.
-Undertake and document quality control and follow up, with a focus on:
-Monitoring and Evaluation, through harmonisation and strengthening of M&E tools and methodologies across the Education project teams;
-Ensuring safe programming and protection mainstreaming.
- Contribute to global and regional programmes, including ensuring a constructive exchange with other NRC Education programmes and the regional Durable Solutions Unit.
- Represent NRC at relevant inter-agency coordination and bilateral meetings, and as delegated by line manager.
- Line-manage the Education Technical Coordinator, ensuring supervision of workload and performance management.
Knowledge, experience & skills that will help you succeed in this role
- Minimum 4 years of experience in senior capacity within Education in a humanitarian/ recovery context.
- Experience working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
Context/specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Solid background in formal education, non-formal education, secondary and vocational training, and teacher training.
- Knowledge of the context in Syria.
- Knowledge of Arabic is an added value.
- Handling insecure environments.
- Strategic thinking.
- Empowering and building trust.
- Initiate action and change.
- Building Professional Networks.
-Contract period: 12 months
-Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
-Duty station: Amman, Jordan, with 30% international travel
Please download Job Description of the position here.
We will review applications on an ongoing basis, interested candidates are encouraged to apply early